1938 Orange Cake Recipe - This depression era cake recipe was a bit of a challenge the recipe had 0 instructions and left me with a few questions... but in the end the cake turned out great with a fantastic moist texture and incredible orange flavour.
|All purpose flour||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) ((softened))|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Raisins||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 180ºC (350ºF).
2. In a food processor; chop the orange until it is finely ground.
3. Mix the dry ingredients: flour, soda, and salt, set aside.
Cream the butter, and then cream in the sugar until light and fluffy. Mix in the egg. Mix in the buttermilk.
4. Stir the flour mix into the butter mixture, a little at a time.
Stir in the raisins and the orange.
5. Transfer to a prepped 9x9 baking pan, and bake for 25 - 35 minutes.
6. Cake is done when a tester comes out clean, or internal temperature is 205ºF.
7. Serve and Enjoy!