You will love these mouth-watering deep-fried vadas of crushed lentils and chopped cabbage, supported by a gentle combination of carrots, green chillies and coriander. Cabbage vadas will make a wonderful after-school snack for kids or a tea-time treat for elders.
|Chana dal||1 Cup (16 tbs) (split Bengal gram)|
|Green chillies||6 (roughly chopped)|
|Finely chopped cabbage||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Finely chopped carrots||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Finely chopped onions||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped coriander||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (dhania)|
|Besan||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (Bengal gram flour)|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For deep frying)|
|Green chillies||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Soak the chana dal overnight.
2. Next day, drain and keep ½ cup of the chana dal aside.
3. Combine the remaining chana dal with green chillies and blend in a mixer to a coarse mixture without adding water.
4. Transfer the mixture into a bowl, add all the remaining ingredients (including the remaining ½ cup of chana dal) and mix well.
5. Divide the mixture into 20 equal portions and shape each portion into a 50 mm. (2”) diameter thick, lightly flattened round vada.
6. Heat the oil in a kadhai and deep-fry 3 to 4 vadas at a time on a medium flame, till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on absorbent paper.
7. Serve immediately with green chutney.