Everyday fare, the Doodhi and Chana Dal Subzi is a wealth of good health. Rich in protein and folic acid, thanks to chana dal and doodhi, this subzi can be prepared easily and quickly provided you have soaked the dal earlier. The best part is that this no-fuss, no-sweat recipe is made with ingredients that you are sure to have at home!
|Chopped bottle gourd||2 Cup (32 tbs) (doodhi / lauki)|
|Chana dal||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (split Bengal gram, soaked for 2 hours and drained)|
|Mustard seeds||1/2 Teaspoon (rai / sarson)|
|Cumin seeds||1/2 Teaspoon (jeera)|
|Asafoetida||1 Pinch (hing)|
|Chopped tomatoes||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chilli powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 Teaspoon (haldi)|
|Coriander cumin powder||1 Teaspoon (dhania|
|Finely chopped coriander||1 Tablespoon (dhania)|
1. Combine the bottle gourd, chana dal, salt and 1 cup of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
2. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Keep aside
3. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds.
1. When the seeds crackle, add the asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
2. Add the tomatoes, chilli powder, turmeric powder, coriander-cumin seeds powder, little salt and 1 tbsp of water and mash the tomatoes lightly using a potato masher. Mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
3. Add the bottle gourd-chana dal mixture, mix well and cook on a medium flame for another 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
4. Serve hot garnished with coriander.