I know I say all the time how easy something is BUT- this cake really is so easy to make! It's packed with incredible citrus flavor and is light, decadent, beautiful, and impossible not to devour. Trust me, make this cake.
|Butter||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (room temperature)|
|Granulated sugar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Brown sugar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Blood orange||1 (zested)|
|Blood orange juice||1 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Sour cream||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|All purpose flour||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Baking powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Baking soda||1/2 Teaspoon|
|For blood orange glaze:|
|Blood orange||1 , juiced|
|Powdered sugar||1 3/4 Cup (28 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1/4 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In a bowl with an electric mixer cream together the butter, brown sugar, and granulated sugar.
3. Add in the blood orange zest, blood orange juice, eggs, vanilla extract, and sour cream. Mix until smooth.
4. To the wet ingredients add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix until just combined.
5. Pour the mixture into a greased 8 inch cake pan and put into the preheated oven.
6. Bake for 35-45 minutes, depending on your oven. Check it at 35 minutes by putting a toothpick into the center. If it comes out clean, it’s ready! Let it cool for at least 20 minutes.
7. Trim the top of the cake slightly so that it lays flat when you turn it upside down on your cake plate.
8. In a bowl add the powdered sugar, blood orange juice, and vanilla extract and mix together. If it appears too runny add a little more powdered sugar, or if it is too thick add more juice. You don’t want it running off the cake!
9. Pour over the top of the cake and spread around slowly.
10. If you’d like, put thin slices of blood oranges on the top for decoration.
11. That’s it! The most incredible and beautiful cake ever! Enjoy.