Shahi tukda is one of the most popular Indian desserts. True to its name it is a shahi delight! Pieces of bread are dipped in delicious saffron flavoured sugar syrup and topped with rich and creamy rabdi. Though rabdi is usually made by thickening milk over the stove for hours we have provided a shorter recipe using condensed milk that tastes just as good! Ghee has been used for frying the bread however you could substitute oil for it if required.
|For quick shahi rabdi:|
|Full fat milk||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Bread slice||1 (fresh)|
|Condensed milk||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Cardamom powder||1/4 Teaspoon (elaichi)|
|For for shallow frying the bread slices:|
|For the sugar syrup:|
|Water||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Saffron strands||4 (kesar)|
|Pistachio slivers||1 Tablespoon|
|Almond slivers||1 Tablespoon|
FOR THE QUICK SHAHI TUKDA RABDI:
1. Remove the crusts of the bread slices and discard. Grind the bread slices in a food processor to make fresh bread crumbs and keep aside.
2. Bring the milk to boil in a deep non-stick pan, stir it in between.
3. Stir it well once and add the fresh bread crumbs and condensed milk. Mix well and cook on a medium flame for approx. 8 to 10minutes, while stirring continuously and scraping the sides of the pan.
4. Add the cardamom powder and mix well.
5. Keep aside to cool completely.
FOR SHALLOW FRYING THE BREAD SLICES:
1. Remove the crust from both the bread slices and discard them.
2. Cut each bread slice diagonally into 2 triangles.
3. Heat the ghee in a broad non-stick pan and shallow-fry the bread triangles till golden brown in color from both the sides.
4. Remove them in a plate and keep aside.
FOR THE SUGAR SYRUP:
1. Combine the sugar and ¼ cup of water in a broad non-stick pan, mix well and cook on a high flame for 10 to 12 minutes or till the sugar syrup is of 1 thread consistency.
2. Add the saffron strands and mix well. Keep aside.
1. Soak the shallow fried bread triangles in the sugar syrup immediately for 2 to 3 minutes, while turning the triangles once after 1.5 minutes so, they get evenly soaked.
2. Drain and remove them in a serving dish.
3. Pour the warm rabdi evenly over the sugar syrup coated bread triangles.
4. Garnish with pistachios and almonds.
5. Serve immediately or refrigerate till it is chilled and then serve.