Vadas can be eaten as a snack, served as an appetizer and also as a side. These crispy dumplings are gluten free and made from lentils.
|Urad dal||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Water||3 1/4 Cup (52 tbs) , divided (1/4 cup extra for grinding the dal and rest is for soaking the dal)|
|Black salt||3/4 Teaspoon|
|Fresh cracked pepper||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Mustard seeds||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Chaat masala||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Red chilli powder||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Asafoetida||1 Pinch (hing)|
|Finely chopped fresh ginger||1 Tablespoon|
|Minced green chili||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped coriander||1 Tablespoon|
|Baking powder||1/2 Teaspoon (optional)|
1. The first step is to soak the Urad dhal in water for about 8 hours.
2. Wash the dhal and grind to a paste with the help of a little water, leave this for 6 – 8 hours to ferment in the fridge.
3. Add all the ingredients and mix well.
4. Heat up the oil and once hot, add a tbsp of the hot oil to the batter and mix
5. Using an ice cream scoop drop the batter into the hot oil and allow to turn a nice golden brown while the inside cooks till it’s nice and spongy.
6. Drain them on some kitchen towels to absorb the excess oil.
7. Serve and enjoy!