As far as Egg curries go, there are probably more than a 1000 different ways to make it. From the north to the south there are various different regional recipes and then there are the distinct curries from our neighboring countries - Pakistan, Bangladesh Sri Lanka. Egg curries can be made with whole boiled eggs, or egg halves like I've used in this recipe and also in an egg drop style also known in the Middle East and Israel as Shakshuka.
|Sliced onions||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Red kashmiri chilies||5 , deseeded|
|Ginger piece||2 Inch|
|Garlic||5 Clove (25 gm)|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Inch|
|Coriander seeds||3 Teaspoon|
|Poppy seeds||2 Teaspoon|
|Fennel seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon|
|Fresh grated coconut||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For egg curry:|
|Eggs||4 , halved|
|Diced onions||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sliced green chili||1 Tablespoon|
|Fresh curry leaves||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Water||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Tumeric powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Fresh coriander||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. In a pot sauté the onions and red chillies.
2. Add the ginger and garlic cloves.
3. Add the cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves & peppercorns.
4. Saute everything well and then add coriander, fenel, cumin and poppy seeds.
5. Remove everything and allow to cool.
6. Dip the egg halves cut side into the egg white and place face down for the eggs to seal.
7. Once done, flip over and keep aside.
8. Saute the fresh grated coconut till a light golden brown and just add it to the other whole spices and chillies.
9. Add everything to my food processor, together with some water to get it started and grind it.
10. Add water as required a little at a time till you get a nice smooth blend.
11. Add more oil to your pan and saute the diced onions, chilli and curry leaves.
12. Add the spice paste.
13. Add water to your processor.
14. Saute the masala with the onion, chilli and curry leaves for a few minutes.
15. Add 1/2 tsp turmeric.
16. Add the water and salt to taste and allow this to heat up.
17. Put a lid on this and allow it to cook.
18. Taste again for salt and add more if required.
19. Add 2 tsps Sugar to balance the salt and spices.
20. Cover this again and continue o cook on a simmer for another 5 minutes.
21. Immerse the eggs in the gravy, cover and cook for a few more minutes.
22. Finally add the fresh Coriander to garnish.
23. Serve and enjoy!