Glen is back in the kitchen making recipes from our stash of depression era recipe books. This week he makes a 1938 Depression Era Chop Suey Recipe. American chop suey recipes go by a few different names American Goulash, and Chili Mac.
Now this American Chop Suey recipe is a transitional version between the original all rice recipe and the contemporary all macaroni version.
|Ground beef||1 Pound|
|Cold cooked rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cooked macaroni||1 Cup (16 tbs) , cold|
|Canned tomatoes||10 Ounce (1 pint)|
|Breadcrumbs||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat oven to 180C (350ºF).
2. Fry onions in butter until softened.
3. Add ground beef and fry till browned.
4. Add rice, macaroni, tomatoes, salt and pepper.
5. Scoop into a 9x9” baking dish and cover with bread crumbs.
6. Bake for 40 -45 minutes.
7. Serve and enjoy!