An uttapa with a difference! The spread-out batter is topped with veggies and coated with another layer of batter, to make a sandwich, which is then cut into equal wedges and served hot with the typical South Indian accompaniments.
|Dosa batter||3 1/2 Cup (56 tbs)|
|Green chutney||8 Teaspoon|
|Chutney||8 Teaspoon (red chut)|
|Finely chopped onions||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Finely chopped tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Finely chopped capsicum||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Garam masala||1 Teaspoon|
|Chilli powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Butter||12 1/2 Teaspoon (for greasing and cooking)|
|Grated processed cheese||1 Cup (16 tbs) (for serving)|
1. To make the sandwich uttapa, heat a non-stick tava (griddle) and grease it with ½ tsp of butter.
2. Sprinkle little water on the tava (griddle) and wipe it using a clean muslin cloth.
3. Pour ½ cup of the dosa batter on the non-stick tava (griddle) and spread it in a circular motion to make a 175 mm. (7") thick uttapa.
4. Cook for 30 seconds and spread 2 tsp of green chutney and 2 tsp of red chutney evenly over it.
5. Spread 1 tsp of butter evenly over it.
6. Spread ¼ cup of onions, ¼ cup of tomatoes, ¼ cup of capsicum, ¼ tsp of garam masala, ½ tsp of chilli powder and little salt evenly over it and press it lightly using a spatula.
7. Cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes.
8. Pour 1/3 cup of batter over the vegetables, spread it evenly using a big spoon to make a thin even layer.
9. Turnover, tap gently and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes.
10. Spread 1 tsp of butter evenly over it.
11. Trim off the extra batter and vegetables from the circumference to get a neat circular shape.
12. Turnover once again and again cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
13. Spread 1 tsp of butter evenly over it, turn over and cook on a medium flame for another 1 minute.
14. Finally, turn and cut into 6 equal pieces.
15. Repeat steps 2 to 15 to make 3 more sandwich uttapas.
16. Serve immediately garnished with ¼ cup of cheese.