Is This Date Loaf The Origin Of Sticky Toffee Pudding? Maybe? Maybe not? Glen is on the hunt for earlier recipes that use dates and a sauce... and this Date Versatile Recipe (or date loaf, date bread, date cake) from 1938 seems like a great candidate.
|Hot water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Eggs||2 , separated|
|Flour||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Nuts||1 Cup (16 tbs) , cut (optional)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF.
2. Mix soda with chopped pitted dates and pour hot water overtop.
3. Leave to soak while you prepare the rest.
4. Cream sugar and butter.
5. Beat in egg yolks, and then the vanilla.
6. Beat egg whites to stiff peaks.
7. Stir baking powder into flour.
8. Alternate between mixing flour, and date water into the butter-sugar mixture.
9. Mix in the dates, and nuts if using.
10. Fold in the egg whites.
11. Bake in a greased loaf pan for 1 hour.
12. The recipe indicates that you can eat this with butter, or cream cheese and served with tea. Or with whipping cream and a hard sauce.