The grandeur of this recipe is evident from the ingredients that go into the kofta. A range of dairy products, saffron and dry fruits give these Nawabi Kesar Koftas a melt-in-the-mouth texture and magnificent flavour. The tangy gravy, flavoured with a rich paste of spices and nuts, adds to the luxurious feel of the koftas with its tongue-tickling flavour and luscious consistency. It is worth indulging in ingredients like mava, raisins, cream and paneer that are used in this recipe, to relive the lives of the Nawabi kings!
|For the kesar koftas:|
|Saffron strands||4 (kesar)|
|Grated mawa||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (khoya)|
|Grated paneer||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (cottage cheese)|
|Boiled peeled potatoes||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped raisins||1 Tablespoon (kismis)|
|Plain flour||1 Tablespoon (maida)|
|Finely chopped green chillies||1 Teaspoon|
|For smooth paste:|
|Water||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sliced onions||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Broken cashew nuts||1 Tablespoon (kaju)|
|Chopped almonds||1 Tablespoon (badam)|
|Coriander seeds||2 Teaspoon (dhania)|
|Cumin seeds||2 Teaspoon (jeera)|
|Poppy seeds||1 Tablespoon (khus khus)|
|Anise seeds||2 Teaspoon (vilayati saunf)|
|Freshly grated coconut||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped ginger||2 Teaspoon (adrak)|
|Chopped green chillies||1 Teaspoon|
|Whole dry kashmiri red chilies||4 , broken|
|Cloves||2 (laung or lavang)|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Small (dalchini)|
|Curry leaves||6 (kadi patta)|
|For the gravy:|
|Tomato puree||4 Tablespoon|
|Dried fenugreek leaves||1/2 Teaspoon (kasuri methi)|
|Fresh cream||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped coriander||1 Tablespoon (dhania)|
FOR THE KESAR KOFTAS:
1. Combine the saffron and milk in a small bowl and mix well.
2. Combine all the ingredients along with the saffron-milk mixture in a deep bowl and mix well.
3. Divide the mixture into 8 equal portions and shape each portion into a ball.
4. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai and deep-fry, a few koftas at a time, on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from all sides.
5. Drain on an absorbent paper and keep aside.
FOR THE GRAVY:
1. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the prepared paste and sauté on a medium flame for 5 minutes.
2. Add the tomato purée, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring continuously.
3. Add ½ cup of water, dried fenugreek leaves and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
4. Lower the flame, add the fresh cream, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
1. Just before serving, re-heat the gravy, add the koftas, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
2. Serve hot garnished with coriander.