Think of Mexican and tacos are the first dish that come to mind. Making tacos involves a laborious process, which pushes many to go for the readymade options. However, anything made at home is always more tasty and satisfying, and Mexican Tacos are no exception to this rule. Crisp maize flour tortillas loaded with a tangy rajma topping, green tomato sauce, and of course, oodles of cheese, these tacos are a sumptuous snack your kids will love.
|For the crisp tortillas:|
|Maize flour||3/4 Cup (12 tbs) ((makai ka aata))|
|Plain flour||5 Tablespoon ((maida, plus extra for rolling))|
|Oil||1/2 Liter ((plus 1/2 tbsp extra for the dough))|
|For rajma topping:|
|Red kidney beans||3/4 Cup (12 tbs) ((red rajma soaked for 8 hours and drained))|
|Finely chopped onions||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garlic paste||1/2 Teaspoon ((lehsun))|
|Tomato pulp||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chilli powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1 Teaspoon ((jeera))|
|Tomato ketchup||2 Tablespoon|
|For the green sauce:|
|Chopped green tomatoes||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Chopped onions||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped green chillies||1 Tablespoon|
|For other ingredients:|
|Tomato ketchup||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chilli sauce||1 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped spring onion greens||7 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Grated processed cheese||7 1/2 Tablespoon|
FOR THE CRISP TORTILLAS:
1. Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a semi-soft dough using enough water.
2. Divide the dough into 15 equal portions.
3. Roll a portion into a 75 mm. (3”) diameter thin circle using a little plain flour for rolling and prick it evenly with a fork.
4. Heat the oil in a deep-non-stick kadhai and deep-fry, a few puris at a time on a medium flame till they turn crisp and golden brown in colour from all the sides.
5. Drain on an absorbent paper.
6. Cool and store in an air-tight container.
FOR THE RAJMA TOPPING:
1. Combine the rajma, 1½ cups of water and salt in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 4 whistles.
2. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Do not drain the water and keep aside.
3. Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions and garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
4. Add the tomato pulp, tomato ketchup, chilli powder, cumin seeds powder and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
5. Add the cooked rajma with the water, mix well, mash it using a potato masher and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, , while stirring occasionally.
6. Divide the topping into 15 equal portions. Keep aside.
FOR THE GREEN SAUCE:
1. Combine the tomatoes, onions, green chillies and ½ cup of water in a pressure cooker, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
2. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
3. Allow the mixture to cool completely and blend in a mixer to a smooth mixture. Strain with a strainer.
4. Transfer the mixture into a deep bowl, add the vinegar and salt, mix well and keep aside.
1. Combine the tomato ketchup and chilli sauce in a bowl, mix well and keep aside.
2. Place a crisp tortilla on a clean, dry surface, place a portion of the rajma topping evenly over it.
3. Pour 2 tsp of the green sauce over it, 1 tsp tomto-chilli sauce mixture, ½ tbsp of spring onion greens and finally ½ tbsp of cheese.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 to make 14 more tacos.
5. Serve immediately.