Hara chana also known as choliya, harbhara are available in Winter only. Make sure you get the shelled fresh hara chana from the market or you will easily spend an hour to remove the shell for obtaining the fresh chana. Also, you can toss in myriad of colorful vegetables to make it more filling. The chana used in the harbhara chaat recipe is not available throughout the year but when in season make sure to make this delicious chatpatta chaat recipe which is tangy and spicy. Replace hara chana with fresh hara chana to make tongue-tickling recipes like Roadside Hare Chane Ki Chaat, Paneer Aur Hare Chane ka Salad or Malvani Chana Masala.
|Hara chana||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Soda bi carb||1 Pinch|
|Mustard seeds||1/2 Teaspoon (rai / sarson)|
|Asafoetida||1/4 Teaspoon (hing)|
|Black salt||1/2 Teaspoon (sanchal)|
|Finely chopped green chillies||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Chilli powder||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped coriander leaves||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (dhania)|
|Lemon juice||1 Tablespoon|
1. To make harbhara chaat, wash the fresh hara chana, add them to boiling water along with salt and soda bi- carb and cook them in enough water for 5 to 7 minutes.
2. Remove from the flame, drain the water and add cold water and keep aside.
3. Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds.
4. When the seeds crackle add the asafetida and hara chana and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes while stirring occasionally.
5. Add the salt, black salt,green chillies, chilli powder, coriander and mix well and cook on a medium flame for more 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
6. Just before serving add the lemon juice and mix well.
7. Serve immediately.