For Diwali, Holi, Durga Puja, Dussera, Navratri or just any occasion this Matka Kulfi is perfect after a heavy meal. Nuts are ground to a paste and cooked with milk and saffron. Matka means pot and the ice cream is chilled in terracotta pots. Traditionally they were prepared in pots to cool them faster as they did not have refrigeration facilities. This recipe can be made and set in anything, including Tupperware.
|Mixed dried fruit||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (mixed nuts and raisins)|
|Sugar||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (plus 2 tbsp extra for the dried fruit mixture)|
|Milk||610 Milliliter , divided (110 ml or 1/2 cup for making the dried fruit mixture and rest for icecream)|
1. Grind the nuts and raisins with the 2 tbsps of sugar.
2. Add the 1/2 cup milk and grind to a paste.
3. Boil the milk and add a pinch of saffron.
4. Add the sugar and reduce the milk by half.
5. Add the nut paste and continue to cook.
6. Add some milk to the processor and scrape into the pot.
7. Cool and pour into small containers or matkas.
8. Serve and enjoy!