Just saying the words makes me happy Butter Chicken Biriyani. Butter Chicken is beloved by everyone, I like to BBQ the Chicken before adding it to a delicate and creamy gravy. I had this idea a while ago to turn this into a Biriyani, but I wasnt sure if it would work Im so glad that I did give it a shot as this is a marriage made in heaven.
|Boneless chicken thigh||500 Gram (about 1 lb)|
|Tandoori marinade||1 Centiliter|
|For cooking the chicken:|
|Oil||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sliced onions||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chopped coriander||1/2 Teaspoon (dry)|
|Chopped green chillies||1 Teaspoon|
|Butter||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chilli powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Pav bhaji masala||1 Teaspoon|
|Tomato puree||2 Cup (32 tbs) (blanched and then pureed)|
|Whipping cream||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For cooking the rice:|
|Basmati rice||2 Cup (32 tbs) , soaked in water for 1 hour, drained well (long grained)|
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs) (along with water add 1 tbsp Salt and bring to the boil)|
|Saffron strands||1 Pinch|
|Hot milk||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cinnamon stick||2 Inch|
|Melted ghee/Butter||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Food colouring||1 Pinch|
1. Marinate the Chicken in the tandoori marinade, preferably overnight.
2. Start by soaking the rice at least for an hour and then wash and drain.
3. Skewer the Chicken and half cook on the BBQ – you can also use the oven or pan fry the pieces.
4. In a pot add the oil and fry the onions.
5. When the onions are brown but still soft, remove half and keep aside.
6. Continue cooking the second half and add the cashews and remove when the onions are darker and crispy(but not burnt) and keep aside.
7. In the same pot add the coriander and the green chillies.
8. Add the soft onions back in followed by all the powdered spices.
9. Add in the Chicken and follow with the tomato puree and stir well.
10. Add salt to taste and cook for a few minutes so the chicken is completely cooked.
11. Add the cream and mix.
12. Cook the rice in the water and salt till half cooked.
13. Add saffron threads to hot milk and allow to steep.
14. Remove and drain any extra water.
15. Layer the rice over the gravy.
16. Add the melted ghee.
17. Add the fried onions and cashews and the saffron milk.
18. Seal with foil, cover and cook for 20 – 25 mins.
19. Gently stir with a fork and serve with fresh mint and coriander