Beef Stroganoff is one of those recipes... with a lot of different variations. Mostly because the original written Russian recipe is not the greatest and cooks through the ages have added their own twists to make this beef recipe even better. This Beef Stroganoff recipe takes some of the original components and add some of the greatest improvements from the last 100 years or so.
|Beef chunks/Beef flank||500 Gram , thinly sliced (1 pound)|
|Salt||5 Milliliter (1 tsp)|
|Ground allspice||2 Milliliter (1/2 tsp)|
|Oil||30 Milliliter (2 tbsp)|
|Onion||1 Small , thinly sliced|
|White mushroom||300 Gram , slice|
|White wine||125 Milliliter (1/2 cup)|
|Flour||15 Milliliter (1 tbsp)|
|Beef stock||125 Milliliter (1/2 cup)|
|Hot english mustard||15 Milliliter (1 tbsp)|
|Sour cream||250 Milliliter (1 cup)|
|For the original recipe:|
|Tender beef||1 Kilogram|
|Sour cream||2 Tablespoon|
|Mustard sauce||1 Teaspoon (Sareptskaja mustard)|
1. Sprinkle the steak with salt, and allspice, and let stand for about an hour at room temperature.
2. Heat a pan on high heat, and pour in the oil and sauté the beef.
3. Remove the beef from the pan.
4. In the same pan, melt the butter, and cook the onions and mushrooms until soft, golden and sweet.
5. Deglaze the pan with the wine, and reduce by half.
6. Stir in flour and cook for 1-2 minutes.
7. Stir the stock into the pan.
8. Reduce the heat to medium-low and stir in the mustard.
9. Stir the sour cream into the pan.
10. Add the steak back to the pan to simmer gently for 15 - 20 minutes.
11. Season to taste.
12. Serve over French fries, mashed potatoes, rice, or noodles.
FOR THE ORIGINAL RECIPE:
1. Two hours before service, cut a tender piece of raw beef into small cubes and sprinkle with salt and some allspice.
2. Before dinner, mix together 1/16 lb (polos mushka) butter and 1 spoon flour, fry lightly, and dilute with 2 glasses bouillon, 1 teaspoon of prepared Sareptskaja mustard, and a little pepper.
3. Mix, bring to a boil, and strain.
4. Add 2 tablespoons very fresh sour cream before serving.
5. Then fry the beef in butter, add it to the sauce, bring once to boil.
6. Serve and enjoy!