Roasted Cherry Ice Cream: It was so hot in the studio We decided to make some Ice Cream. Since the oven was already preheated we decided to make Roasted Cherry Ice Cream in our Breville Smart Scoop Ice Cream Maker.
|Frozen sweet cherries||500 Milliliter (2 cups)|
|35 % whipping cream||500 Milliliter (2 cups)|
|3 % milk||250 Milliliter (1 cup)|
|Sugar||150 Gram (1 cup)|
|Pure vanilla extract||10 Milliliter (2 tsp)|
|Egg yolks||5 Large|
1. Pre-heat oven to 260ºC (500ºF)
2. Quarter the frozen berries and place them on a sheet pan.
3. Place sheet pan in the oven to roast for 10-15 minutes, until cherries have lost most of their moisture, and are beginning to brown.
4. Place 1/3 of the roasted cherries in a blender with the milk and blend thoroughly.
5. In a medium saucepan whisk together the milk/cherry mixture and the heavy cream.
6. Bring it just to a simmer, stir, and then remove from the heat.
7. In a medium bowl, whisk together the yolks and the sugar.
8. Whisking constantly, temper the egg yolks with some of the hot creams.
9. Whisking pour the egg mixture back into the saucepan and cook over medium heat until the mixture reaches 170ºF.
10. Pour custard through a sieve into a bowl, and whisk in the vanilla.
11. Cover and refrigerate until cold.
12. Freeze in an ice-cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.
13. Add in the remaining ⅔ of the roasted cherries when the ice cream is nearly frozen.
14. Continue churning until frozen, transfer to an airtight container and put in freezer to harden.
15. Serve and enjoy!