This recipe is for a more Mexican style Picadillo, that we've had while traveling there. The flavors and ingredients for this dish vary depending on where and which country you are in we've had it in Cuba, Mexico, Costa Rica, and a couple other countries... as well as versions made by our Grandparents who were rural Canadian to the core.
|For the sauce:|
|Yellow onion||1 Small|
|Beer||125 Milliliter (1/2 cup)|
|Garlic||2 Clove (10 gm)|
|Cumin||1/2 Teaspoon (2 mL)|
|Oregano||1/2 Teaspoon (2 mL)|
|Salt||1/2 Teaspoon (2 mL)|
|For the meat:|
|Ground beef||500 Gram (1 pound)|
|White potato||1 Large , dice|
|Carrot||2 Large , dice|
|Frozen peas||1 Cup (16 tbs) (250 mL)|
1. Put all sauce ingredients in a blender and puree.
2. Heat a frying pan over medium-high heat.
3. Brown the ground beef.
4. Mix the peas, potatoes, and carrots into the ground beef, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the pureed sauce to the skillet, stir thoroughly and cover with a lid.
5. Simmer on medium-low for 15 minutes.
6. Remove the lid and continue cooking for another 10 minutes, to thicken the sauce.
7. If the picadillo starts to get dry, add a 1/4 cup of beer and continue cooking.
8. Serve and enjoy!