This is a sturdy cake doughnut recipe, that's fantastic for dunking in your tea or coffee. This fried cinnamon sugar donut recipe is tasty and easy to make.
|All purpose flour||300 Gram (2 cups)|
|Sugar||75 Gram (1/3 cup)|
|Baking powder||1 Teaspoon (5 mL)|
|Baking soda||1/2 Teaspoon (2 mL)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Teaspoon (5 mL)|
|Ground nutmeg||1/2 Teaspoon (2 mL)|
|Egg||1 , beaten|
|Buttermilk||175 Milliliter (3/4 cup)|
|Pure vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon (5 mL)|
|Butter||25 Gram (2 tbsp)|
|Oil||1 Liter (For deep frying)|
|Sugar||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Ground cinnamon||1 Tablespoon|
1. Pour about 3" of oil in the bottom of a heavy pot, and heat to 320º-340ºF.
2. Mix together the flour, sugar, cinnamon, baking powder and baking soda in a large bowl.
3. In another bowl mix together the egg, buttermilk, vanilla and the melted butter.
4. When the oil has reached temperature, mix the wet ingredients into the dry, until it forms a shaggy dough.
5. Turn out onto a floured surface, and pat out to around 1" thick.
6. Flour a 2 ½" doughnut cutter, and cut out as many donuts as you can.
7. Regroup the dough, pat it out again and then cut more doughnuts, do this as many times as needed.
8. carefully place 2 or 3 doughnuts at a time in the hot oil.
9. Cook for about two minutes on the first side, flip, and then one - two minutes on the second; until golden brown and cooked through.
10. Remove the donuts and drain on a rack.
11. Coat in cinnamon sugar
12. Eat within hours of making.
13. Serve and enjoy!