Another Old Fashioned Cake Doughnut Recipe - but this one has a lighter texture thanks to the cake flour.
|Sugar||100 Gram (1/2 cup)|
|Butter||35 Gram (2 tbsp at room temperature)|
|Cake flour||255 Gram (2 1/4 cups)|
|Baking powder||7 Milliliter (1 1/2 tsp)|
|Salt||5 Milliliter (1 tsp)|
|Ground nutmeg||1/2 Teaspoon (2 mL)|
|Egg yolks||2 Large|
|Sour cream||125 Milliliter (1/2 cup)|
|Canola oil||1 Liter (For deep frying)|
1. In a stand mixer cream together the sugar and butter. In a bowl, sift together the cake flour, baking powder, salt, and nutmeg.
2. Add the egg yolks to the butter/sugar mixture in the stand mixer and mix until creamy.
3. Alternate adding the dry ingredients and the sour cream to the stand mixer.
4. The dough will be sticky, very sticky.
5. Cover and chill for at least an hour, but up to overnight.
6. Heat 2"-3" of oil in a heavy bottomed pot, to 325º - 340ºFOn a floured surface, pat out the dough to about ½" thick.
7. Use a doughnut cutter dipped in flour and cut out as many donuts as possible.
8. Reform the dough as needed, pat it out and cut more.
9. You may need to refrigerate the dough before reforming it.
10. Fry the doughnuts 2-3 at a time, don't overcrowd the pot.
11. Fry on each side about 2 minutes, until they are golden brown.
12. Remove from pot and let drain on a rack.Coat in cinnamon sugar, or chocolate glaze.
13. Serve and enjoy!