This chocolate Black Velvet Cake With A Dark Chocolate Ganache is a real beauty! Its a made-from-scratch dark chocolate bundt cake thats liberally drizzled with a warm dark chocolate ganache. Its so indulgent it could be further described as a chocolate lovers best friend. I often serve this dark chocolate extravaganza with a dollop of whipped cream on the side, or a scoop of vanilla ice cream. That leaves room for a maraschino cherry for the cherry on top. To gild the lily further, I like to make extra warm ganache to drizzle on the cake after it makes it to the dessert plate. When serving this cake expect to make friends. Lots and lots of friends.
|For the cake:|
|All purpose flour||2 1/4 Cup (36 tbs)|
|Chocolate instant pudding mix/Chocolate fudge instant pudding||3 1/2 Ounce (1 box)|
|Baking soda||2 Teaspoon|
|Salted butter||1 Cup (16 tbs) , softened (2 sticks)|
|Light brown sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Pure vanilla extract||2 Teaspoon|
|Pure almond extract||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Whole buttermilk||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|For the ganache:|
|Dark chocolate chips||10 Ounce (1 pkg)|
|Heavy cream||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Pure almond extract||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Grated chocolate||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (for garnish)|
FOR THE CAKE:
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Butter and flour a standard bundt pan, set aside.
2. Sift together the flour, dark cocoa, pudding mix, baking soda and salt.
3. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together the softened butter, brown sugar, vanilla and almond extracts. Beat for 2-3 minutes until creamy.
4. Add the eggs one at a time beating well after each addition.
5. Lower the speed of the mixer and add the sifted dry ingredients alternately with the buttermilk, ending with buttermilk. Stop and scrape the bowl periodically so all of the ingredients will combine.
6. After all have been added, increase the mixer speed and continue to beat for 1 minute. The batter will be thick.
7. Spread the batter into the bundt pan. Bounce the pan on the counter a few times to settle the batter.
8. Bake for 55-60 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes back clean. Cool to warm in the pan, then invert onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
FOR THE GANACHE:
1. In a microwave safe bowl melt the chocolate chips and heavy cream together. Melt in 20 second increments stopping to stir each time. Repeat until smooth, then add the almond extract.
2. Drizzle over the cooled cake. Sprinkle the top with grated chocolate, if desired.
3. Serve and enjoy!