Bhel, the ever-popular Mumbai roadside snack is so popular all over the world that it has managed to fire people's imagination and spin out innumerable variants. This Mexican Bhel is our latest addition to the repertoire. It's quite easy to make and can be made from scratch at home. The idea is to bring together classic Mexican components like chunky salsa, crisp tortilla chips, sweet corn, capsicum and boiled rajma along with a handful of sev, to make a crunchy, tangy, pulpy Bhel. You can adjust the spice levels according to your taste. The Mexican Bhel is an innovative snack that you can serve at parties to boggle your guests' imagination!
|Finely chopped tomatoes||5 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped onions||2 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped green chillies||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped coriander||1 Tablespoon (dhania)|
|Finely chopped garlic||1 Teaspoon (lehsun)|
|Dried basil||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Tomato ketchup||2 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Lemon juice||1/2 Teaspoon|
|For tortilla chips:|
|Whole wheat flour||3/4 Cup (12 tbs) (gehun ka atta, plus extra for rolling)|
|Plain flour||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (maida)|
|For other ingredents:|
|Boiled sweet corn kernels||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (makai ke dane)|
|Finely chopped capsicum||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (coloured)|
|Soaked and boiled rajma||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (kidney beans)|
|Grated processed cheese||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Oil||1/2 Kilogram (For deep frying)|
|Finely chopped coriander||2 Tablespoon (dhania)|
FOR THE TORTILLA CHIPS:
1. Combine the flours and salt in a deep bowl and knead into a soft dough using enough water.
2. Divide the dough into 5 equal portions.
3. Roll out a portion of the dough into a 175 mm. (7”) thin circle using a little whole wheat flour for rolling.
4. Heat a non-stick tava (griddle) on a high flame and when hot, place the tortilla gently over it. Cook it lightly on the tava for a few seconds.
5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 to make 4 more tortillas.
6. Cut into small equal diamond shaped pieces using a sharp knife or a cutter.
7. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry, a few tortilla chips at a time, on a medium flame till they are golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper. Cool and store in an air-tight container till use.
FOR THE BHEL:
1. Combine the salsa, sweet corn kernels, colored capsicum, rajma, cheese and a little salt in a deep bowl and mix well.
2. Just before serving, add the tortilla chips and toss gently.
3. Serve immediately garnished with coriander and sev.