The Dal Tadka is a regular feature for most of us while eating out at a Punjabi restaurant. However few of us realize that this dish can be prepared with ease in your very own kitchen at nearly one-fifth the price. Made with toovar dal this creamy, rich and smooth dal is tempered with Punjabi spices and ghee. It makes the perfect accompaniment to Cooked Rice or Rotis.
|Toovar dal||1 Cup (16 tbs) (arhar dal)|
|Chana dal||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (split Bengal gram)|
|Green chillies||2 , slitted|
|Grated garlic||1 Teaspoon (lehsun)|
|Grated ginger||1 Teaspoon (adrak)|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 Teaspoon (haldi)|
|Finely chopped onions||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Finely chopped tomatoes||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Water||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Mustard seeds||1/2 Teaspoon (rai /sarson)|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon (jeera)|
|Whole dry kashmiri red chilies||3 , broken|
|Curry leaves||6 (kadi patta)|
|Finely chopped ginger||1 Teaspoon (adrak)|
|Finely chopped garlic||1 1/2 Teaspoon (lehsun)|
|Chilli powder||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped coriander||3 Tablespoon (dhania, for garnish)|
1. Clean, wash and soak both the dals in water for 30 minutes. Drain.
2. Add the soaked and drained dals, green chillies, garlic, ginger, turmeric powder, salt and 3 cups of water in a pressure cooker and pressure cook for 3 whistles till the dals are cooked. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
3. Remove the green chillies and discard them. Whisk so as to mash the dals. Keep aside.
4. Heat oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1-2 minutes.
5. Add tomatoes and cook for another 2 minutes, stirring occasionally and lightly mashing with the back of the spoon.
6. Add the cooked dal, mix well and bring to boil. Cook for 6-8 minutes on a medium flame while stirring occasionally.
7. For the tempering, heat the ghee in a small non-stick pan and add the mustard seeds and cumin seeds. When the seeds crackle, add the red chilli, curry leaves, ginger and garlic and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
8. Switch off the flame add chilli powder and mix well.
9. Pour the tempering over the dal and mix well.
10. Serve hot garnished with coriander.