Sweet Potato Casserole is a luscious must-make holiday side dish. Its traditional in the South to serve it at Thanksgiving. Christmas and Easter and pairs beautifully with roasted turkey or ham. Its topped with a buttery streusel crumb topping laced with pecans which not only adds texture but, takes it to a whole new level of deliciousness.
|Sweet potatoes||5 Medium|
|Evaporated milk||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Packed light brown sugar||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Butter||4 Tablespoon , melt|
|Pumpkin pie spice||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|For streusel topping:|
|All purpose flour||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Pumpkin pie spice||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Butter cubes||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , cold|
|Chopped pecans||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment or foil.
2. Use a sharp knife to pierce the sweet potatoes 3-4 times. Place on baking sheet. Bake for 60-70 minutes or until fork tender. Lower the oven temperature to 350°F.
3. Allow sweet potatoes to rest until cool enough to handle. Use a spoon to remove from skin.
4. Add sweet potato flesh to a medium-size mixing bowl with the evaporated milk, brown sugar, melted butter, eggs, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Using an electric mixer, whip until smooth.
5. Spray a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Spread whipped filling evenly into dish.
6. To make streusel topping: In a small mixing bowl mix together the flour, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice, and salt. Using a pastry blender or 2 forks, cut butter into crumbs until it resembles peas. Stir in the pecans. Sprinkle on top of filling.
7. Bake in 350°F oven for 45-55 minutes or until the topping is golden and sweet potatoes are set when gently shaken.
8. Serve warm.