The presence of the word Shahi always hints at the richness of a recipe. Indeed, the Shahi Pulao is a dish that is loaded with spices, veggies and a horde of other ingredients, which give it a memorable flavour and texture. While an assortment of spices including saffron and caraway seeds gives this rice preparation a rich aroma, taste and hue, veggies, pineapple and paneer give it a wonderful range of textures. Pineapple also gives the dish a juicy tanginess, which you are sure to enjoy. Self-contained with myriad flavours, this one-dish meal can be served with just a bowl of curds or raita.
|Cooked long grain rice||3 Cup (48 tbs) (chawal)|
|Saffron strands||1/4 Teaspoon (kesar)|
|Cloves||2 (laung / lavang)|
|Cinnamon sticks||2 (dalchini)|
|Caraway seeds||1/2 Teaspoon (shahjeera)|
|Cumin seeds||1 Teaspoon (jeera)|
|Finely chopped green chillies||1 Teaspoon|
|Bay leaf||1 (tejpatta)|
|Sliced onions||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chilli powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 Teaspoon (haldi)|
|Paneer cubes||2 Tablespoon (cottage cheese)|
|Blanched cauliflower florets||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Boiled green peas||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chopped canned pineapple||2 Tablespoon|
|Finely chopped coriander||2 Tablespoon (dhania)|
|Fried cashew nuts||1 Tablespoon (kaju)|
|Fried raisins||1 Tablespoon (kismis)|
1. Combine the saffron and 1 tbsp of warm water in a small bowl, mix well and keep aside.
2. Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the cloves, cinnamon, cardamom, caraway seeds, cumin seeds, green chillies and bayleaf and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
3. Add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes or till they turn light brown in colour.
4. Add the chilli powder, turmeric powder, paneer, cauliflower and green peas and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
5. Add the pineapple, rice, saffron-water mixture and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
6.Garnish with coriander, cashewnuts and raisins and serve immediately.