Quick pickles like this always come in handy when your taste buds yearn for a bit of fun, but you dont have the patience to make a traditional pickle that involves maturing, drying, etc. Although it takes very little time to prepare, this unique pickle of carrot and capsicum has a very exhilarating flavour, thanks to a masala mixture that combines a couple of seeds and spices. You can especially notice the brilliant flavours of mustard and fenugreek in this Quick Carrot and Capsicum Pickle. You can make a small batch of this and store it in the refrigerator in a dry and clean airtight container for three or four days. In the quest for quick and easy accompaniments, try the Instant Mango Pickle and the Instant Chilli Pickle too.
|Julienned carrots||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Capsicum||1 Large , julienned ((about 1/2 cup))|
|Mustard oil||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) ((Rai / sarson oil))|
|Nigella seeds||1/2 Tablespoon ((Kalonji))|
|Mustard seeds||2 Tablespoon , split ((Rai na kuria))|
|Asafoetida||1/2 Teaspoon ((hing))|
|Chilli powder||1 Tablespoon|
|Fenugreek seeds||1 Tablespoon , split ((Methi na kuria))|
|Salt||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
Makes 3/4 cup.
1. Combine the masala mixture, carrot and capsicum in deep a bowl and mix well.
2. In a microwave safe bowl, add the mustard oil and microwave on high for 2 minutes.
3. Pour the hot oil over the carrot and capsicum masala mixture and mix well.
4. Cover it with a lid and microwave on high for 30 seconds.
5. Cool completely, serve immediately or store in an air-tight container and refrigerate till use.