Wonderfully flavourful, this Onion and Karela Subzi is perked up not just by the pungency of onions, but also by the aroma of roasted sesame seeds and the tanginess of amchur powder. Together, these ingredients complement the bitterness of karela very well, making it not just palatable but quite enjoyable too!
|Sliced onions||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Bitter gourds||4 Large , deseeded (thinly sliced, karela)|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 Teaspoon (haldi)|
|Chilli powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Dried mango powder||1 Teaspoon (amchur)|
|Roasted sesame seeds||1 Tablespoon (til)|
1. Combine the bitter gourd and a little salt in a deep bowl and mix very well. Keep aside for 20 minutes.
2. Squeeze all the water from the bitter gourd and place them on a kitchen towel to dry them completely.
3. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadhai, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes.
4. Add the bitter gourd, mix well and cover and cook on a slow flame for 15 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
5. Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, sugar, dried mango powder, sesame seeds, salt and 1 tbsp of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
6. Serve hot.