The rich flavour of the gravy and the succulent crunch of deep-fried baby potatoes make this Aloo Biryani an experience to remember. Here, perfectly cooked rice is layered with a spicy gravy and deep-fried baby potatoes, along with some mint and coriander leaves to enhance the flavour and aroma. The whole arrangement is then cooked in a microwave or traditional oven to get the dum effect, which causes the flavours of the gravy to blend with the rice and potatoes, giving you a really terrific biryani. Making traditional biryanis like this takes some time and effort but it is completely worth it!
|For the rice mixture:|
|Cooked long grain rice||3 Cup (48 tbs) (basmati)|
|Ghee||1 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Deep fried onion||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|For the paste:|
|Chopped tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Freshly grated coconut||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chopped ginger||1/2 Teaspoon (adrak)|
|Chopped garlic||1/2 Tablespoon (lehsun)|
|Chopped mint leaves||2 Tablespoon (pudhina)|
|Chopped coriander||2 Tablespoon (dhania)|
|Cumin seeds||1/2 Teaspoon (jeera)|
|Water||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|For the gravy:|
|Bay leaf||1 (tejpatta)|
|Cloves||2 (laung / lavang)|
|Black peppercorns||3 (kalimirch)|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Small (dalchini)|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 Teaspoon (haldi)|
|Chilli powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1 1/2 Teaspoon (dhania powder)|
|Garam masala||1/2 Teaspoon|
|For other ingredients:|
|Baby potato slices||1 1/4 Cup (20 tbs) , deep fry|
|Finely chopped mint leaves||2 Tablespoon (phudina)|
|Finely chopped coriander||2 Tablespoon (dhania)|
FOR THE RICE MIXTURE:
1. Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the rice and salt and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
2. Switch off the flame, add the deep-fried onions and mix gently. Keep aside.
FOR THE GRAVY:
1. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan, add the bayleaf, cloves, peppercorns, cardamom, cinnamon and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
2. Add the prepared paste, turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder, garam masala, salt and cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 4 to 5 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
FOR THE BIRYANI:
1.Preheat your oven to 200 degrees C (400 degrees F).
2. Place half the rice mixture in a shallow microwave and oven safe glass dish and spread it evenly.
3. Pour the gravy over it and spread it evenly.
4. Place the deep-fried potato halves on it.
5. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of mint leaves and 1 tbsp of coriander evenly over it.
6. Put the remaining rice mixture and spread it evenly.
7. Finally sprinkle again with 1 tbsp of mint leaves and 1 tbsp of coriander evenly over it.
8. Microwave on high for 2 minutes or bake in a pre-heated oven at 200C (400F) for 10 minutes.