There is something unexplainably awesome about caramelized onions. Whether it is its nice pinkish hue, the strong aroma or its unique sweet and spicy taste, we dont know, but it never fails to please anyone. In this yummy snack, we have made a Panini using caramelized onions and cheese, with a little jalapenos for a juicy spicy touch. Panini is a type of grilled sandwich made with breads like baguette, ciabatta and michetta. In specific, it is not made with regular sliced bread. Whenever a variety of Panini bread is available, it is better to use that. However, if you cannot lay your hands on one, you can use hot dog rolls like we have done here.
|Sliced onions||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Grated process cheese||4 Teaspoon|
|Hot dog rolls||2|
|Butter||5 Teaspoon ((for spreading and brushing))|
|Finely chopped jalapeno||2 Teaspoon|
1. Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the onions, sugar and salt, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 7 minutes, while stirring continuously. Keep aside.
2. Slit a hot dog roll horizontally using a sharp knife and apply 1 tsp of butter on each halve.
3. Put half the mixture of caramelized onions, 1 tsp of jalapenos and 2 tsp of grated processed cheese on the lower halve of a bread roll.
4. Close the bread roll and brush tsp of butter on top of the bread and grill in a greased pre-heated sandwich griller for 5 minutes or till they turn crispy and brown from both the sides.
5. Repeat steps 2 to 4 to make 1 more panini.
6. Cut each panini diagonally into 2 equal pieces.