If you see a frown on your kids face, this is the best recipe to put the smile back! The Potato Smiley is an all-time favourite kids recipe. The potato-based dough is shaped into small, flat rounds, with eyes and a smile impressed upon each, using a straw and a spoon. Once deep-fried, they become crisp and golden-hued, attractive in every way. This cheerful starter is bound to start your meal on a positive note, literally! Serve it immediately as it will become soft later.
|Boiled potatoes||2 1/2 Cup (40 tbs) , grated|
|Bread crumbs||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cornflour||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chilli powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Salt and freshly ground black pepper||To Taste|
|Oil||2 Cup (32 tbs) ((For deep frying))|
1. Combine all the ingredients in a deep bowl, mix well and knead into a soft dough, without using water.
2. Cover it with a lid and keep it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
3. Divide the dough into 2 equal portions.
4. Place a plastic sheet on a clean dry surface and place a portion of the dough in the center, press it lightly and place another sheet of plastic over it.
5. Roll the dough into a 200 mm. (8) diameter thick circle using a rolling pin.
6. Remove the plastic sheet from top and make 7 rounds of approx. 50 mm. (2) in diameter with the help of a cookie cutter or a vati.
7. Place these 7 rounds on a clean dry surface and make eyes using a straw and a smile using a spoon on each round.
8. The dough remaining after cutting the rounds can be used to make 3 more smileys.
9. Repeat steps 4 to 8 to make 10 more smileys with one more portion of the dough.
10. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and deep-fry the smileys, a few at time on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on absorbent paper.
11. Serve immediately with tomato ketchup.