The appetizing bitterness of methi, the royal creaminess of malai and the succulence of paneer come together to make an awesome subzi that tops the chart of favourites in most Indian restaurants. A paste of cashew nut, tomatoes, onions and spices adds to the luscious mouth-feel of the Methi Malai Paneer Subzi, while also adding some spicy notes to it. Throw in a few more commonly-available spice powders, and you achieve a perfect balance of creaminess and spice, the two essential dimensions of a rich subzi. Enjoy this restaurant-style subzi with your favourite roti or pulao.
|Chopped fenugreek leaves||1 1/4 Cup (20 tbs) ((methi))|
|Paneer cubes||1 1/4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Small|
|Clove||1 ((laung / lavang))|
|Bay leaf||1 ((tejpatta))|
|Turmeric powder||1/4 Teaspoon ((haldi))|
|Chilli powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1/2 Teaspoon ((dhania))|
|Milk||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh cream||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Garam masala||1/2 Teaspoon|
|For the paste|
|Cumin seeds||1/2 Teaspoon (jeera)|
|Finely chopped onions||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Chopped ginger||2 Teaspoon (adrak)|
|Chopped garlic||1 1/2 Tablespoon (lehsun)|
|Chopped green chillies||1 Tablespoon|
|Chopped tomatoes||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped cashewnuts||2 Tablespoon|
|For the garnish|
|Grated paneer||2 Tablespoon|
For the paste:
1. Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
2. Add the onions, ginger, garlic and green chillies and sauté on a medium flame for 2 minutes.
3. Add the tomatoes and cashewnuts, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside to cool slightly.
4. Once cooled blend it in a mixer till smooth using 2 tbsp of water. Keep aside.
How to proceed:
5. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick kadai, add the cinnamon, cardamom, clove, bayleaf and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
6.Add the fenugreek leaves, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
7.Add the turmeric powder, chilli powder, coriander powder and 2 tbsp of water, mix well and sauté on a medium flame for few seconds.
8.Add the prepared paste, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
9.Add the cup milk, cup of water, salt and sugar, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
10.Add the paneer, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute.
11.Add the fresh cream and garam masala, mix gently and cook on a medium flame for 1 minute, while stirring occasionally.
12. Serve hot garnished with grated paneer.