Dotted with vibrantly coloured, assorted veggies, this soft and sumptuous rava idli is a perfect dish to start your day with. The mild tanginess of curds and subtle notes of chilli paste make the Vegetable Rava Idli very flavourful, while veggies like sweet corn and carrot offer soft, juicy breaks in every mouthful. The Vegetable Rava Idli combines perfectly with this traditional Coconut Chutney, which gets an amazing flavour and wonderful aroma from the tempering. To save time on a busy morning, you can prepare the chutney the previous night and refrigerate. You can prepare the whole chutney recipe the previous day, or you can just grind the mixture and keep it ready. You can add the tempering just before serving for a fresh touch.
|For the coconut chutney|
|Freshly grated coconut||4 Tablespoon|
|Roasted chana dal||4 Tablespoon (((((daria)))))|
|Chopped green chillies||1 Tablespoon (((((roughly)))))|
|Chopped ginger||1 Teaspoon (((((adrak)))))|
|Chopped coriander||3 Tablespoon (((((dhania)))))|
|Curry leaves||8 (((((kadi patta)))))|
|Fresh curds||1 Tablespoon (((((dahi)))))|
|Mustard seeds||1/2 Teaspoon (((((rai / sarson)))))|
|Urad dal||1/2 Teaspoon (((((split black lentils)))))|
|Curry leaves||12 (((((kadi patta)))))|
|Whole dry kashmiri red chilli||1 Small (((((broken into pieces)))))|
|For the vegetable rava idli|
|Asafoetida||1/4 Teaspoon (((((hing)))))|
|Grated carrot||2 Tablespoon|
|Sweet corn kernels||2 Tablespoon ((boiled and coarsely crushed))|
|Finely chopped french beans||2 Tablespoon|
|Semolina||1 1/4 Cup (20 tbs) ((rava/sooji))|
|Curds||3/4 Cup (12 tbs) ((dahi))|
|Oil||1 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Urad dal||1/2 Teaspoon (split black lentils)|
|Chana dal||1/2 Teaspoon (split Bengal gram)|
|Mustard seeds||1/2 Teaspoon (rai / sarson)|
|Green chilli paste||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Fruit salt||1/2 Tablespoon|
For the coconut chutney:
1. Combine the coconut, roasted chana dal, green chillies, ginger, coriander, curry leaves, curds, salt and 4 tbsp of water and blend in a mixer to a smooth paste. Keep aside.
2. Heat at the oil in a small pan and add the mustard seeds.
3. When the seeds crackle, add the urad dal, remaiming 3 to 4 curry leaves, red chillies and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
4. Pour this tempering over the coconut mixture and mix well. Keep aside.
For the vegetable rava idli:
5. Combine the curds and 1 cup of water in a deep bowl, whisk well and keep aside.
6. Combine the semolina, curd-water mixture, tbsp of oil in a deep bowl, mix well and keep aside for 30 minutes.
7. Add the carrot, corn, French beans and salt and mix well. Keep aside.
8. Heat the remaining tbsp of oil in a small pan and add the urad dal, chana dal and mustard seeds.
9. When the seeds crackle, add the green chilli paste and curry leaves and sauté on a medium flame for a few seconds.
10. Pour the tempering over the semolina batter and mix well.
11. Just before steaming, add the fruit salt and 2 tbsp of water over it.
12. When the bubbles form, mix gently and pour spoonfuls of the batter into greased idli moulds and steam in a steamer for 10 minutes.
13. Repeat with the remaining batter to make more idlis.
14.Serve hot idlis with coconut chutney.