Gulab Jamuns or Gulab Jamoon is one of the most eaten Indian Sweets, this popular milk based sweet is usually made with khoya/mawa, cottage cheese and flour. Today, let's make a very easy, quick and instant recipe for Gulab Jamuns using Powdered Milk which is usually available in most of the Indian homes. You no longer need to wait for Diwali to come now :)
|Milk||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Milk powder||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Ghee||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Sugar||3 Cup (48 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Gulab jal||1 Teaspoon|
|Cardamom powder||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Baking powder||3/4 Teaspoon|
|Ghee||2 Cup (32 tbs) (For deep frying)|
1. In a pan, add - milk, ghee and milk powder. Stir well before turning the flame on. Cook in medium flame until it forms a pat, approximately 4-5 mins.
2. Once the consistency is like mawa, turn the flame off and transfer to a bowl.
For Sugar Syrup:
3. Add the sugar to a pan with 1 cup of water and boil until sugar is melted. If the sugar syrup is not clear, add 2 tbsp milk, stir once and let it boil 2-3 minutes.
4. Skim the dirt off the surface using a perforated spoon.
5. Add saffron, gulab jal and mix well, add more water as required to form a sticky consistency sugar syrup.
6. Turn the flame off and keep aside.
Forming Gulab Jamun:
7. To the cooled mawa substitute add - maida, cardamom powder, baking powder, gulab jal and 2 tbsp of water. Mix all ingredients and start kneading, add remaining 1 tbsp water if required to make a soft and smooth dough.
8. Divide the mawa dough into 16 equal portions and smoothen then by pressing each between palm and slowly releasing pressure whilst rolling them to a smooth round ball.
9. Keep all the dough covered at every point of time to prevent them from forming crust and drying.
10. Deep fry the gulab jamun balls in low flame stirring constantly until rosy and golden.
11. Immediately transfer to hot sugar syrup and dunk them to ensure maximum syrup penetration.
12. Let the gulab jamuns absorb and stay idle in the syrup for atleast 2 hours before serving.
13. Serve and Enjoy!