A traditional recipe from goa, the coconut pulao is characteristic of the cuisine of the west coast where coconuts and cashews are used abundantly. Cooked in coconut milk and garnished with cashews and coconut slivers, this is indeed rich fare!
|Coconut milk||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Long grained rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sliced onions||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Small|
|Carrot||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Green pea||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Fried cashewnuts||2 Tablespoon|
|For the garnish:|
|Grated coconut||2 Tablespoon|
|Chopped coriander||2 Tablespoon|
1. Heat the oil and butter in a pressure cooker, add the onion, cloves, cinnamon and cardamom and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
2. Add the carrot and green peas and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
3. Add the rice, coconut milk, cashewnuts, 1 cups of hot water and salt, mix well and pressure cook for 2 whistles.
4. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
5. Serve hot garnished with the coconut and coriander.