Korma gravies are very popular with most people, thanks to their intense flavour and rich aroma. While you might have seen korma gravies combined with a range of veggies, paneer, etc., here we present an innovative, layered biryani made with korma gravy and rice that has been flavoured aesthetically with whole spices and saffron. So delicious, the Korma Biryani does not even call for a special side-dish, and tastes exciting with just a cup of curds or Raitas / Kachumber .
|For the rice:|
|Long grained rice||1 1/4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Small|
|For the vegetable korma:|
|Mixed vegetables||1 Cup (16 tbs) ((carrot, French beans and potatoes))|
|Green peas||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated onions||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Tomatoes||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Turmeric powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||2 Teaspoon|
|Chilli powder||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Garam masala||1 Teaspoon|
|Milk||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Fresh cream||3 Tablespoon|
For the rice:
1. Combine the saffron strands and 2 tsp water in a small bowl, mix well and keep aside.
2. Heat the ghee in a deep non-stick pan, add the bayleaves, cinnamon, cardamom and cloves and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
3. Add the rice, saffron-water mixture, salt and 2 cups of hot water and mix well. Cover it with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 13 to 15 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
For the vegetable korma:
4. Heat the ghee in deep non-stick kadhai, add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till it turns light brown in colour.
5. Add the ginger-garlic paste and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
6. Add the tomatoes, turmeric powder, coriander powder, chilli powder, garam masala and salt, mxi well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally.
7. Add the mixed vegetables, milk and fresh cream, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 2 to 3 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Keep aside.
How to proceed:
8. Just before serving, divide the rice into two equal portions and place one layer of the rice in an oven-safe baking dish and spread it evenly.
9. Spread the vegetable korma evenly over it and finally top with the other portion of the rice and spread it evenly.
10. Cover it with an oven-safe lid and bake in a pre-heated oven at 180C (360F)) for 15 minutes.
11. Serve immediately.