Betty demonstrates how to make a Tex-Mex Cheesy Grits Casserole. This is a grits and cheese casserole with a Mexican flair.
|Water||4 Cup (64 tbs)|
|Quick grits||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Melted butter||8 Tablespoon|
|Frozen mirepoix blend||18 Ounce|
|Milk||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Shredded cheddar cheese||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Diced green chiles can||4 Ounce (with liquid)|
|Cooking oil spray||2 Tablespoon (use as required)|
|Green chili enchilada sauce||10 Ounce (use as required)|
1. In a large pot, bring water to a boil over medium to high heat.
2. Add salt and grits and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook grits 3 to 5 minutes, stirring often, until thickened. Set aside.
3. In a large skillet, melt 4 tablespoons butter. Add thawed mirepoix blend to butter and saute over low to medium heat until softened. Remove sautéed vegetables to a bowl and set aside.
4. In the same skillet, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium heat and stir in flour.
5. Cook and stir, until mixture is bubbly.
6. Add milk and cook until sauce thickens. Stir in cheddar cheese and green chiles. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
7. Pour grits mixture into 9-inch by 13-inch by 2-inch baking dish that has been sprayed with cooking oil spray.
8. Pour green chili enchilada sauce over top, using can to 1 whole can, as desired.
9. Bake at 350 degrees (F) for about 30 to 40 minutes, or until bubbly and beginning to brown.
10. Remove from oven and let rest at least 10 minutes before serving.