Tangy tomatoes, crunchy cabbage and mealy beans come together with an aromatic and flavourful vegetable stock to create a truly delicious and satiating soup. Have a small bowlful of this pepper-flavoured soup to kindle your appetite, or have much more to make it a meal in its own right, but always make sure you relish every mouthful of this wonderful Tomato, Cabbage and Bean Soup. Make sure you shred the cabbage quite finely to ensure it cooks without losing the crunch and colour.
|Tomatoes||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Cabbage||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , finely chopped|
|Baked beans||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Onions||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) , finely chopped|
|For the stock|
|Onions||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Potatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Tomatoes||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
For the stock:
1. Combine all the ingredients in a pressure cooker along with 5 cups of water, mix gently and pressure cook for 3 whistles.
2. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid.
3. Strain the water using a strainer and discard the vegetables. Keep aside
How to make the soup:
4. Heat the oil in a deep non-stick pan and add the onions and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
5. Add the cabbage and sauté on a medium flame for 1 minute.
6. Add the stock and boil on a medium flame for 5 to 7 minutes.
7. Add the tomatoes and baked beans and boil again for 8 to 10 minutes while stirring occasionally.
8. Add the salt and pepper and mix well.
9. Serve hot. Enjoy!