Pizza is loved by all. When it comes to making it without oven, first thing that comes in to mind is tawa, and that's how I'm showing you today. Absolutely perfect homemade pizza in a pan, without using oven. This Indian Style Veg Cheese Pizza made on a tava in the street style is a party starter!
|Water||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Flour||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Milk powder||3 Teaspoon|
|Pizza sauce||4 Tablespoon|
|Mozzarella cheese||200 Gram|
|Mixed vegetable||To Taste (use fast cooking toppings, else cook them beforehand)|
1. In a bowl, add lukewarm water and mix sugar well with it. Once sugar is dissolved, mix in the yeast and let it proof for about 10 minutes.
2. Add in the flour, milk powder and salt to a bowl/working platform & mix well. Then, pour in the yeast mixture and form into a soft & sticky dough. Add more water if it requires you to form a soft & sticky dough. Then, knead the dough for a minimum of 5-6 minutes.
3. Add the butter to the dough and knead it for a minute. Then, place the dough in the bowl, cover with a damp cloth and keep in a corner to rest & proof for an hour.
4. Once the dough is double in size, knock the dough, knead for a minute or two, then divide into two portions for a 8" pizza. Smoothen the dough and start rolling them.
5. Once rolled, place the dough in a pizza screen or atta sieve/perforated plate and prick it using a fork so that it does not puff up. Then cover with a damp cloth and let it proof for 15-20 minutes.
6. Spread Pizza Sauce, grate cheese on top, place in the toppings.
7. Heat a normal tawa in low flame, place the pizza with the pizza screen/perforated plate and cover the tawa with a large lid/bowl/cooker lid and cook for 12-15 minutes in low flame.
8. Check the cheese if it's melted & the bottom if it's golden.
9. Then take the pizza out, sprinkle with herbs and slice! Serve hot!
10. Use a normal cast iron/aluminium tawa instead of nonstick, as nonstick coating can burn in this recipe and the fumes are toxic, plus the pan will not be any good.
11. I have tried without pizza screen/perforated plate too, the pizza does not evenly cook inside out. Cheese does melt, the bottom also gets golden but it somehow always stays a bit raw if the pizza is directly placed in tawa. You can use any thing to avoid direct contact :)