Sometimes, the easiest of dishes are the most pleasing. The Cucumber Raita is one such case. It is a very simple accompaniment, made of grated cucumber and curds perked up with a dash of spice powders and a traditional tadka. The tempering not only boosts the aroma of the raita but also gives it a nice taste. In an unexpected twist, a teaspoon of green chilli paste is added to the curds, to give the raita a sharper flavour. You can enjoy this tasty accompaniment with pulao, biryani or parathas.
|Cucumber||1 1/2 , grated|
|Curd||1 1/4 Cup (20 tbs)|
|Green chilli paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seed powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Powdered sugar||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin seeds||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Mustard seeds||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Coriander||1 Tablespoon , finely chopped|
1. Squeeze the cucumber and remove all the excess water. Drain the water and keep the cucumber aside.
2. Whisk the curds well using a whisk.
3. Add the green chilli paste, cumin seeds powder, powdered sugar and salt and mix well.
4. Add the cucumber, mix well and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
5. Heat the oil in a small non-stick pan, add the cumin seeds, mustard seeds and asafoetida and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
6. When the seeds crackle, add the tempering to the curds-cucumber mixture and mix well.
7. Add the coriander and mix well.
8. Serve chilled.