Idra is basically Gujarati white Dhokla which are made from rice and black gram(Urad) are quite healthy and contains right mix of carbohydrate and protein. Idra is soft and fluffy dhoklas that are good for snacks.
|For idra flour:|
|Rice||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Channa dal||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Urad dal||1 Tablespoon|
|For idra / idada batter:|
|Idara flour mix||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Thick curd||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Hot water||2 Cup (32 tbs) ((use as required))|
|For making idra:|
|Green chili||2 Teaspoon|
|Black pepper||1 Teaspoon ((optional))|
|Soda bi carbonate||1/4 Teaspoon|
To Make Idra Batter:
1. Take flour of rice and urad dal in a mixing bowl.
2. Add curd/yogurt, oil to the flour.
3. Pour some water and mix it well till batter consistency.
4. Keep the batter in a warm place and ferment it for 8-10 hours/over night.
5. Add finely chopped ginger and green chili in the fermented batter.
6. Season it with salt . If required add a little water to adjust the consistency of batter.
7. Take a portion of batter in a separate bowl and add a pinch of baking soda (soda bi-carbonate). Mix it well.
8. Prepare steam cooker for steaming Idra/Idada .
9. Grease Idra/Idada plate with oil and pour the Idada batter.
10. Spread the batter evenly on greased plate.
11. Sprinkle pepper powder on batter and steam it for 8-10 minutes. Check if Idada is well cooked by pricking it with a fork/knife.
12. Repeat the steaming process for rest of the Idada batter.
13. Cut the steamed Idada into any shape pieces and serve it in a serving plate.
14. Serve the Idada with garlic and red chili chutney or coriander chutney.