This dish gets a nice tart accent from the green mango use more or less depending how much you like that flavor. Alternatively, only use the amount of brown sugar and throw some firm sweet Alfonso or Ataulfo mangoes at the end of the cooking process (with the red peppers) if you like a sweeter flavor in your curry.
|Boneless chicken thighs||1 Kilogram|
|Green mangoes||2 Small , peeled, cut into bite size chunks, seed discarded (Firm)|
|Vegetable oil||2 Tablespoon|
|Coconut milk||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Red bell pepper||1/4 Medium , sliced thin|
|Onion/3 shallots||1/2 Medium , peeled, roughly chopped|
|Garlic cloves||10 Medium , peeled|
|Thai red chilies/0.5 jalapeno||2 Medium|
|Ginger knob/Galangal||2 Inch , sliced|
|Lemongrass stalks||2 Medium (Top 1/3 Used, Outer Layers Discarded)|
|Fresh coriander leaves||1 Cup (16 tbs) , washed, roughly chopped (Leaves And Stems Used)|
|Fresh basil leaves||30 Medium|
|Kaffir lime leaves||2 Medium (Inner Stem Discarded)|
|Ground turmeric||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Ground coriander||1 Teaspoon|
|Ground cumin||1 Teaspoon|
|Brown sugar||2 Teaspoon|
|Salt/1 tablespoon soy sauce||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Canola oil||1 Tablespoon|
|Beef shoulder/Beef loin||1/2 Kilogram , cut into thin strips|
|Lemongrass stalk||1 Medium|
|Yellow onion||1/2 Medium , sliced thin|
|Garlic cloves||3 Medium , minced fine|
|Chili sauce||1 Tablespoon (Sambal Olek|
|Fish sauce||1 1/2 Tablespoon|
|Lime||1/2 Medium , juiced|
|Fresh coriander||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Thai basil leaves||15 Medium|
|Green onion||1 Medium , sliced thin diagonally|
|Bean sprouts||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Cut chicken thighs into 1” thick slices and set aside.
2. Heat the vegetable oil in a large pot or wok over medium heat.
3. Add all the ingredients for paste into a blender and blend into a thick paste.
4. Add a few teaspoons of coconut milk to the mixture to help it blend, if necessary.
5. Pour curry paste into pot and fry for at least 4 minutes (You now have a curry paste that you can cool, bottle and refrigerate for weeks).
6. Add chicken into the pot and let simmer for 4-5 minutes so that it absorbs flavor from the paste.
7. Add coconut milk, stir well and bring the curry back up to a simmer.
8. Add green mango pieces and remaining Kaffir lime leaves, cook for another 5 minutes, or until mangoes have softened and chicken is cooked through.
9. Add red bell peppers and cook for 2 final minutes.
10. Garnish with reserved basil, reserved ginger and sprouts. Serve over jasmine rice
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 718Calories from Fat 283
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 33 g50.8%
Saturated Fat 13 g65%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 1751 mg72.96%
Total Carbohydrates 21 g7%
Dietary Fiber 1 g4%
Sugars 11 g
Protein 85 g170%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet