In this episode I share with you the following recipes: Butternut squash cupcakes, brown sugar maple German buttercream, and marshmallow fondant. I also show you some simple ideas for decorating your cupcakes for Halloween. Happy Halloween everyone!
|For butternut squash yellow cake|
|Roasted butternut squash||1 Pound|
|Granulated sugar||2 Pound|
|Whole eggs||1 Pound (about 8)|
|All purpose flour||2 1/5 Pound , sifted|
|Baking powder||18 Gram|
|Whole milk||1 Pound|
|Vanilla extract||1 Tablespoon|
|For marshmallow fondant|
|Mini marshmallow||10 1/2 Ounce|
|Shortening||1 Tablespoon (For greasing)|
|Powdered sugar||1 Pound , well sifted|
|Food coloring||1 Teaspoon (as needed different color)|
|For royal icing|
|Sifted powdered sugar||1 1/5 Pound|
|Cream of tartar||2 Gram|
|Pasteurized egg whites||3 Ounce|
|Food color||4 Drop (as needed)|
|For brown sugar maple german buttercream|
|Brown sugar||6 Ounce|
|Granulated sugar||1 Ounce|
|Cornstarch||1 1/2 Ounce|
|Unsalted butter||2 Pound (at room temperature)|
|Maple syrup||4 Ounce (Grade B)|
1. Line cupcake pan with liner and set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 300-350 degree F.
For Butternut Squash Yellow Cake:
3. In food processor, cream sugar and roasted squash for 2-3 minutes over medium speed and then add eggs, one at a time and beat after each addition.
4. In a bowl, combine sifted flour, salt, and baking powder. Mix well.
5. Add the flour mixture into the processor, about 1/3rd and mix on low speed until just moisten.
6. Combine vanilla and milk. Add about 1/3 of the milk mixture into the processor and mix well. Repeat alternating between flour mixture and milk mixture and beat until incorporated. Beat on medium speed until batter is uniform. Do not over beat.
7. Pour mixture about 2/3-3/4 of the way up into the prepared cupcake pan.
8. Pop in oven at 300-350 degree F and bake for 20-25 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean, rotating the pan once.
For Marshmallow Fondant:
9. In a microwave safe bowl, place marshmallow with water and pop in microwave on HIGH for 30 seconds. Remove from oven and stir well. Repeat the process until completely melted, stirring after every 30 seconds.
10. Meanwhile, grease work surface with shortening and spread powdered sugar on top. Grease your spatula and hands with shortening.
11. Transfer the melted marshmallow in the center of the powdered sugar. Knead well with greased hands until the fondant is soft and pliable. Add more sugar or water to adjust the consistency as needed.
12. Divided the fondant and add food coloring if desired. Set aside.
For Royal Icing:
13. In a bowl, mix together sugar and cream of tartar.
14. In a separate bowl, place egg whites and add ½ of the sugar mixture. Mix on low until well incorporated. Add the remaining sugar mixture and mix well, scraping the sides of the bowl often. Then beat on medium speed for 5-7 minutes. Cover the bowl with damp paper towel and set aside.
15. Fill icing in a piping bag and make decoration for cupcakes as shown in the video. Let it set.
16. Add food color and make designs of different color. Let dry.
For Brown Sugar Maple German Buttercream:
17. In a pot, combine milk, brown sugar, and salt. Stir well, place the pot on flame and bring to a boil.
18. Meanwhile in a mixing bowl, combine granulated sugar, cornstarch, eggs, and yolks. Mix well.
19. Temper the egg mixture with the hot milk mixture by slowly drizzling in the hot milk while continuously whisking the egg mixture.
20. Pour the mixture back into the pot and return it back to the stove. Bring to a gently boil over medium to medium high flame, whisking constantly. Whisk and boil for 1-3 minutes or until thickened and then remove from flame.
21. Into the electric mixer bowl, pour the hot custard mixture and beat on medium low speed until cool to touch.
22. Add butter, one stick at a time and beat well after each addition (make sure that the custard is completely cooled before adding butter) until well incorporated.
23. Turn the mixer to high and pour maple syrup. Scrap the sides and beat well. Pop in refrigerator to firm a little bit.
24. On greased surface, place marshmallow fondant and give it different shapes (as shown in the video). Place on sheet pan dusted with powdered sugar.
25. Pipe buttercream on cupcakes and decorate with fondant, and icing as shown in the video.
26. Serve and enjoy!
For Roasted Squash:
Preheat oven to 400 degree F.
Peel, seed and cube squash. Grease a foil lined sheet pan with olive oil and place squash in it.
Pop in oven and roast for 40 minutes or until soft.
Fondant should rest for a couple of hours before using but if desired you can use it right away.
Best if stored in the fridge for long periods but is room temperature stable for at least 5 days.
For Royal Icing:
You can use icing soon after making it but if stored should be kept in an airtight container and refrigerated for up to 3 days.
You can add color for decoration if desired.
Calories 355Calories from Fat 123
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 14 g21.5%
Saturated Fat 8 g40%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 57 mg2.38%
Total Carbohydrates 55 g18.3%
Dietary Fiber %
Sugars 38 g
Protein 4 g8%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
Calories 21300Calories from Fat 7380
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 840 g1290%
Saturated Fat 480 g2400%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 3420 mg142.8%
Total Carbohydrates 3300 g1098%
Dietary Fiber 0 0%
Sugars 2280 g
Protein 240 g480%
Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 0% Iron 0%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet