One of my favorite parts of the holidays is eggnog. Seriously, I could drink it by the quart. I came across a recipe in a Paula Deen magazine for an eggnog sheet cake with a marshmallow eggnog icing and I got really excited. No really. I highlighted, starred and folded the page to make sure I didnt lose sight of this recipe. After I Thindulged it with a light egg nog, I loved it, but all the sugar in the marshmallow and egg nog, not to mention the fat in the egg nog still bothered me. Knowing there had to be some way to make this could be lighter, I decided to replicate the flavors of eggnog and use a cream cheese icing to cut out the sugar of the marshmallow and hit a home run! I am so excited to share these with you not just because I love them, but because by replicating the eggnog flavors, you can have this any time of the year you want.
|Cooking spray||1 Can (10 oz)|
|Sugar free cake mix||250 Gram (Pillsbury)|
|Cinnamon||1/2 Teaspoon , ground|
|Fresh nutmeg||1/4 Teaspoon , grated|
|Unsweetened applesauce||1/3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Egg substitute||3/4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Fat free evaporated milk||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Vanilla extract||1 Teaspoon|
|Cream cheese||8 Ounce|
|Light butter||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sugar substitute||2 Cup (32 tbs) , powdered|
|Ground cinnamon||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Nutmeg powder||1/4 Teaspoon|
|Maple extract||1/4 Teaspoon|
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Spray two 12 cup cupcake tins with cooking spray or use liners, if desired.
1. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, cinnamon and nutmeg. Add applesauce, eggs, milk and vanilla. Beat at medium speed until smooth.
2. Using a standard ice cream scoop, place one scoop into each of the slots of the tin.
3. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
4. Cool 10 minutes in the pan and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before frosting.
5. To make the frosting, beat all ingredients together until smooth. Keep refrigerated until required.
6. Frost the cupcakes with the chilled icing.
7.Serve it chilled as a desert.
- To cut out sugar, I used a sugar free cake mix and powdered sugar substitute, as well as replicate the flavors of eggnog through spices.
- Also, I cut out fat, calories and cholesterol by using applesauce in place of oil, egg substitute, fat free evaporated milk, butter spread and reduced fat cream cheese.
Serving size Complete recipe
Calories 6097Calories from Fat 4573
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 515 g792.3%
Saturated Fat 197 g985%
Trans Fat 0 g
Sodium 3342 mg139.25%
Total Carbohydrates 112 g37.3%
Dietary Fiber 3 g12%
Sugars 45 g
Protein 247 g494%
Vitamin A % Vitamin C %
Calcium % Iron %
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet