You would never believe these cupcakes were made from all plant-based ingredients. Make a batch for birthdays, anniversaries or any night of the week dessert.
|For the cupcakes|
|Organic unbleached white flour||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Organic whole wheat flour||2⁄3 Cup (10.67 tbs)|
|Turbinado sugar/Sucanant||3⁄4 Cup (12 tbs)|
|Non alkali cocoa powder||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Baking soda||1 Teaspoon|
|Sea salt||1⁄4 Teaspoon|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Safflower oil/Sunflower oil||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs)|
|Vanilla/Vanilla powder||1 Teaspoon|
|For fudge frosting|
|Corn starch||1⁄4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Earth balance margarine||1 Tablespoon|
|Vanilla butter frosting|
|Earth balance buttery sticks||1⁄3 Cup (5.33 tbs) (at room temperature)|
|Powdered sugar||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Vanilla||1 1⁄2 Teaspoon|
|Non dairy milk||2 Tablespoon (soy, rice, oat, hemp, etc)|
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
For the Cupcakes:
2. Mix the dry ingredients. Whisk in remaining wet ingredients until well blended.
3. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners. Spoon the batter into the cups: about 2/3 full.
4. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the top bounces back when tapped gently.
5. Remove from muffin tin to a cooling rack and cool completely.
For the Fudge Frosting:
6. Put the sugar, cornstarch and cocoa in sauce pan and whisk to mix. Add the water and whisk until blended. Or, blend the water, sugar, cornstarch and cocoa powder in a blender, until smooth.
7. Pour the mixture into a 1 1/2 - 2 quart sauce pan. Cook over medium heat, whisking constantly, until thickened.
8. Whisk in the Earth Balance until blended and then add the vanilla.
9. Cover tightly and cool completely. Whisk, or beat with electric hand mixer before frosting the cupcakes. Use a knife or a pastry bag to frost.
For the Vanilla "Butter" Frosting
10. Beat the Earth Balance with hand mixer. Sift the powdered sugar. Add the powdered sugar and beat until blended.
11. Add 1 tablespoon non-dairy milk and mix. Add the vanilla. If the frosting is still thick, add the remaining tablespoon of non-dairy milk, 1 teaspoon at a time, so that the frosting is spreadable. Beat on high for a minute until creamy.
12. Spread the frosting on the cupcakes with a knife or pastry bag.
13. Serve the cupcakes on a nice platter and enjoy.
Calories 311Calories from Fat 65
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 7 g11.4%
Saturated Fat 3.07 g15.4%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 7.1 mg
Sodium 186.5 mg7.77%
Total Carbohydrates 59 g19.6%
Dietary Fiber 2.72 g11%
Sugars 33 g
Protein 5 g9.4%
Vitamin A 3.6% Vitamin C %
Calcium 2.1% Iron 11.9%
Calories 3732Calories from Fat 780
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 84 g136.8%
Saturated Fat 36.84 g184.8%
Trans Fat 0 g
Cholesterol 85.2 mg
Sodium 2238 mg93.24%
Total Carbohydrates 708 g235.2%
Dietary Fiber 32.64 g132%
Sugars 396 g
Protein 60 g112.8%
Vitamin A 43.2% Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 25.2% Iron 142.8%
*Based on a 2000 Calorie diet