This recipe is so unique! Chicken is first poached in a spiced liquid and then grilled! "Ayam bakar" is Indonesian for "grilled chicken." It is a popular dish in Indonesian cuisine that typically consists of marinated chicken that is grilled over charcoal or wood fire. The marinade often includes a mixture of spices such as turmeric, coriander, and tamarind, which give the dish its distinctive flavor. It is usually served with steamed rice and a variety of condiments, including sambal, a spicy chili sauce.
A key ingredient is Kecap Manis, a sweet soy sauce that is commonly used in Indonesian and Malaysian cuisine. It is made by combining soy sauce with palm sugar and other seasonings such as garlic, shallots, and spices. It is used as a marinade, dipping sauce, and as an ingredient in many traditional dishes. It has a thick, syrupy texture and a sweet, savory flavor. It is often used in dishes such as nasi goreng, satay, and gado-gado.
|4 kaffir lime leaves 2 gms|
|Galangal 20 gms|
|2 stalks of lemongrass (use only the white portion) 40 gms|
|1/4 cup Ginger||30 gms|
|3 Shallots||2 cups|
|3 long finger Chillies||1/2 cup, 40 gms|
|1 teaspoon turmeric powder|
|1/2 teaspoon coriander powder|
|5 Macadamia nuts||6 gms|
|1 tablespoon tamarind paste|
|1 tsp White Peppercorns|
|Water as required|
|Chicken & Gravy:|
|1200 gms Chicken|
|Prepared Spice paste|
|100 ml Kecap Manis|
|1 tsp Salt|
1. Make the spice paste by blending all the ingredients together.
2. Sear the chicken briefly on both sides in a little oil and keep aside.
3. Add the spice blend and cook for about 5 mins.
4. Add the kecap manis, water and salt and bring to the boil.
5. Cook the chicken for 20 mins, flipping over in between.
6. Remove the chicken and cook in the oven or bbq for 6 - 10 mins.
7. Serve with the reserved sauce.