This iconic recipe from Mumbai, India has 4 parts. The potato patty or aloo Tikki, a scrumptious yellow pea curry or Ragda, a Date and Tamarind chutney and a fresh green chutney. This is assembled - Ragda first, topped by the Pattice or aloo tikka and then its drizzled with date tamarind chutney and green chutney and topped with crispy sev or fried chickpea noodles.
Top with coriander and finely diced onion before serving and I like to add some more chutney before serving. This is also called Chole Tikki is some parts of India but it is most popular in Mumbai. Here are the ingredients and steps to make this recipe!
|For ragda patties:|
|Mashed potatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Chaat masala||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Red chilli powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Coriander powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
|Ginger garlic paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Cornstarch||1/2 Cup (8 tbs) (Optional)|
|Dried peas||1 Cup (16 tbs) , soaked (Vatana)|
|Finely diced onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Minced green chilies||1 Tablespoon|
|Ginger garlic paste||2 Teaspoon|
|Corainder powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Cumin powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Turmeric powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Diced tomatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Water||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped coriander||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Date chutney||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Green chutney||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Sev||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Chopped coriander||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Diced onions||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
1. Soak the yellow peas overnight.
2. Boil and mash the potato, allow to cool and add salt, all the powdered spices and ginger and garlic paste.
3. Make the patties and dip in the cornstarch and shallow fry till its crisps up on both sides and keep aside on kitchen towel.
4. Rinse the soaked yellow peas in the water a few times.
5. In a pressure cooker, add some oil and saute the onion followed by the minced chilli.
6. Add the ginger and garlic paste and saute to cook off the raw ginger and garlic flavour.
7. Add the powdered spices followed by the tomatoes.
8. Add the soaked peas or Vatana and 1 cup of water.
9. Add salt to taste, close the pressure cooker and cook for 10 mins
If using a regular pressure cooker 1 - 2 whistles should be enough
10. To serve the Ragda Pattice, add the gravy at the bottom, topped with the patty, chutneys, sev, chopped coriander and finely diced onion.