amarones a la diabla! I just love saying it! This delicious Mexican recipe is made by roasting chillies, onion, garlic, peppercorns, cloves and tomatoes and pureeing it to make a sauce to simmer Shrimp in.
Guajillo and Chile de arbor chiles are roasted. And cooled before also roasting onions, garlic, cloves and peppercorns. Tomatoes are also roasted. The chillies are then boiled so their skins get nice and soft.
|De arbol chiles||6|
|Onion||1/2 Cup (8 tbs)|
|Chopped tomatoes||2 Cup (32 tbs)|
|Dried oregano||1 Tablespoon|
|Cracked pepper||1 Teaspoon|
|Mexican chili powder||1/2 Teaspoon|
1. Roast the chillies in a pan and keep them aside.
2. Add a little oil and add the onions, garlic, peppercorns & cloves.
3. Remove when they have some color.
4. Off the tomatoes and allow to char and remove.
5. Add the chillies back in, cover with water and allow to come to a boil and cook for 30 mins.
6. In a food processor, add the chillies, onion, garlic, peppercorns, cloves & tomatoes.
7. Add the Oregano and salt and some of the chilli water and blend to a puree.
8. You may strain the sauce if you wish. Marinate the shrimp with salt, pepper and chilli powder.
9. Add some oil to the wok and just cook the shrimp on both sides.
10. Add the sauce and cook for a few minutes before serving.
11. Garnish with a pinch of Mexican chilli powder.
12. Serve and enjoy!