Idli batter along with a selection of veggies and an aromatic tempering transforms into a delectable snack for any time of the day and any occasion. While it is easy to make, the Vegetable Rice Cake can also be made a bit more exciting by adding other colourful veggies like corn or green peas and cutting into exciting shapes. Let your imagination run wild!
|For the vegetable rice cake batter:|
|Idli batter||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated cabbage||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated carrot||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Grated bottle gourd||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (doodhi / lauki)|
|Ginger green chili paste||1 Teaspoon|
|Finely chopped coriander||2 Tablespoon (dhania)|
|Fruit salt||1/2 Teaspoon|
|For other ingredients:|
|Sesame seeds||1 Teaspoon (til)|
|Carom seeds||1/2 Teaspoon (ajwain)|
|Mustard seeds||1/2 Teaspoon (rai / sarson)|
|Cumin seeds||1/2 Teaspoon (jeera)|
|Green chutney||1/4 Cup (4 tbs) (For serving)|
FOR THE BATTER:
1. Combine all the ingredients, except the fruit salt, in a deep bowl along approx. With 2 tbsp of water and mix well. Keep aside.
FOR THE RICE CAKE:
1. Just before making the rice cake, sprinkle the fruit salt and 2 tsp of water over the batter.
2. When the bubbles form, mix gently.
3. Divide the batter into 2 equal portions and keep aside.
4. Heat 2 tsp of oil on a non-stick tava (griddle), add ½ tsp sesame seeds, ¼ tsp carom seeds, ¼ tsp mustard seeds, ¼ tsp cumin seeds and ¼ tsp asafoetida.
5. When the seeds crackle, pour 1 portion of the batter on the tava and spread the batter evenly in a circular motion using big spoon.
6. Cover with a lid and cook on a medium flame for 3 to 4 minutes or till it is golden brown in colour from both the sides.
7. Repeat steps 4 to 6 to make 1 more rice cake.
8. Serve immediately with green chutney.