Cabbage Manchurian is a scrumptious Chinese starter, in which crisp and spicy deep-fried balls of cabbage and carrots are sautéed with spring onions and a tongue-tickling mix of Oriental sauces. The Manchurian balls have a really exciting mouth-feel, which combines the juicy crunch of the veggies with the pungency of ingredients like ginger and garlic. This is a starter that is guaranteed to fire up your appetite! You can also try other starters like the Chinese Style Fried Capsicum or Chinese Samosa.
|For cabbage manchurian:|
|Finely chopped cabbage||1 1/2 Cup (24 tbs)|
|Grated carrot||5 Tablespoon|
|Chilli powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Ginger paste||1/4 Teaspoon (adrak)|
|Garlic paste||1/2 Teaspoon (lesson)|
|Plain flour||2 Tablespoon (maida)|
|Oil||1/2 Liter , divided (For deep frying and for the batter)|
|Finely chopped garlic||1 Teaspoon (lesson)|
|Finely chopped ginger||1/2 Teaspoon (adrak)|
|Finely chopped green chillies||1 1/2 Teaspoon|
|Chopped spring onions||1 1/2 Teaspoon , chop (greens and whites)|
|For the sauce:|
|Tomato ketchup||2 Tablespoon|
|Red chilli sauce||1 Tablespoon|
|Soy sauce||1 Teaspoon|
|Freshly grated pepper||To Taste|
1. Combine the cabbage, carrot, chilli powder, ginger paste, garlic paste, plain flour, cornflour and salt in a deep bowl and mix very well with your hands.
2. Add approx. 2 tsp of water and mix very well.
3. Divide the mixture into 10 equal portions and roll each portion into a ball.
4. Heat the oil for deep-frying, and deep-fry a few balls at a time on a medium flame till they turn golden brown in colour from both the sides. Drain on an absorbent paper. Keep aside.
5. Heat the oil in a broad non-stick pan, add the garlic, green chillies and ginger and sauté on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
6. Add the prepared sauce, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 30 seconds.
7. Add the cabbage manchurian balls and spring onion whites and greens and sauté on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes, while tossing it occasionally.
8. Serve immediately.