Inspired by a recent video by Marion's Kitchen, I created this recipe with my spin on it and cooked it in less time using an Instant Pot. I really love to slow cook, it cooks the meat giving it an incredible fall of the bone texture, however, sometimes you don't have the time to slow cook and a pressure cooker will cook this for you in half the time. Once this recipe is ready to be cooked you can choose either method that suits your need.
|Beef short ribs||500 Gram (about 1 lb)|
|Cinnamon stick||1 Inch|
|Finely chopped white onion||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Julienned ginger||2 Tablespoon (fresh)|
|Fresh minced garlic||2 Tablespoon|
|Sliced green chilies||2 Tablespoon|
|Shaoxing wine/Chinese cooking wine||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Light brown sugar||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
|Chinese 5 spice powder||1 Teaspoon|
|Light soy sauce||2 Tablespoon|
|Beef stock||1 Cup (16 tbs)|
|Cornstarch slurry||4 Teaspoon|
|White sesame seeds||1 Teaspoon (for garnish)|
|Sliced spring onions||1/4 Cup (4 tbs)|
1. Cut the ribs into 2 - 3 inch pieces and marinate with salt.
2. Heat some oil and sear the beef on both sides and keep aside
3. In the same pot, add more oil and saute the onion, ginger garlic and chilli.
4. To deglaze the pot add the cooking wine, followed by the sugar.
5. Add the spice powder and the light and dark soya.
6. Add the stock and return the ribs to the pot.
7. Add Pepper.
8. Ensure that they are mixed with the liquid before you close the lid of the instant pot or pressure cooker.
9. Cook for 20 mins.
10. Release the steam.
11. Put the IP on saute mode and allow the liquid to stay on a rolling boil.
12. Add the cornstarch slurry to thicken
13. Serve and enjoy!